Priest Abuse Case Settled for $1.4 Million
The Associated Press, carried in KTVA [Alaska]
August 4, 2006
A former Anchorage Catholic priest will pay part of a 1.4 million dollar settlement to be split between five men who say he sexually abused them as minors more than two decades ago.
Attorneys say the suit against Frank Murphy, the Anchorage Archdiocese, the Boston Archdiocese and the Missionary Society of Saint James the Apostle was agreed upon last week.
John Manly, an attorney for the plaintiffs, says they received an apology from Anchorage Archbishop Roger Schwietz.
Murphy, who runs a guest ranch in Cuba, New Mexico, has admitted publicly to inappropriate acts with young men in Anchorage and expressed regret.
Murphy came to Anchorage in the 1960s. He left in 1985, just as the archdiocese learned the police were investigating him for sexual misconduct. At the time, church officials told parishioners that Murphy was undergoing alcoholism treatments.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.