New York Priest Charged with Child Rape in Massachusetts

The Boston Globe
July 25, 2006

BOSTON — A Franciscan priest from New York with ties to Massachusetts pleaded not guilty to charges of raping two teenage boys from a Troy, N.Y., parish while on trips to Boston over a 12-year-period, and was released on his own recognizance.

The Rev. Frank Genevive, 51, who lives in a Franciscan retreat in Wappingers Falls, N.Y., was arraigned Monday before Clerk Magistrate Robin E. Vaughn in Suffolk Superior Court to four counts of child rape. Vaughn ordered the priest to stay away from minor children and the two alleged victims, who were between 13 and 16 years old when the alleged assaults occurred between 1977 and 1980.

Genevive was indicted by a Suffolk County grand jury last month. Prosecutors said because Genevive returned to New York after each visit to Boston, the Massachusetts' statute of limitations did not expire. He is due back in court Sept. 7 for a pretrial conference.

Genevive allegedly raped one youth three times and the other boy once, either in an unnamed rectory in the North End or in Genevive's car in downtown Boston, said Jack Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk County district attorney.

Genevive taught at the former Christopher Columbus Catholic High School in Boston's North End in the 1980s. He was an assistant priest at St. Margaret's Parish in Buzzards Bay from 1998 to 2000, according to a spokesman for the Diocese of Fall River.

Kenneth Goldfarb, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany, which oversees St. Anthony's of Padua in Troy, where Genevive worked when the alleged assaults took place, said that as a member of the Franciscan order, Genevive was not supervised by the diocese.

The Rev. Robert M. Campagna, spokesman for the Franciscan Province of the Immaculate Conception, which oversees Franciscans, said Genevive was removed from active ministry on June 2, 2002. He did not say why Genevive was inactive.

One of the alleged victims in the criminal case against Genevive, Mark Lyman, 42, of Stillwater, N.Y., has a $5 million lawsuit against the priest pending in Suffolk Superior Court. The Diocese of Albany had its name dismissed from the suit last month.

In that 2004 lawsuit, Lyman said his abuse occurred in Fall River and Lowell. Lyman also alleged in the lawsuit that Genevive took him to Christopher Columbus High, where another church official abused him. That priest has not been charged.


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.