Protesters Demand List
Daily Southtown [Chicago IL]
June 9, 2003
About a dozen protesters gathered outside Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago on Sunday morning, demanding that Cardinal Francis George release a list on names of priests removed from their duties under molestation allegations.
"The names of all need to be released to assist victims who still suffer in silence and shame - as well as to protect children who could be at risk of abuse by these men," according to a statement from Coalition of Concerned Catholics.
Archdiocese of Chicago officials responded that the names of the 36 priests in question had already been made public, most notably in media accounts, as each priest was removed.
"The names are all public," archdiocese spokeswoman Chris Spoons said. "They're all out there - you just have to look for them."
The group also wanted victims of church sex abuse released from covenants in earlier lawsuit settlements with the archdiocese that prevented the victims from disclosing details of the abuse.
And as for those gag orders, Spoons said George has said publicly for at least a year that those agreements no longer have to be honored. The protesters have insisted they want that sentiment from the Cardinal in writing.
- Chris Hack
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.